Arlington Heights, Illinois
Email: E-mail Me
Areas of Practice
- Divorce, pre-decree and post-decree modifications
- Orders of Protection, bringing them and defending against them
- Family Law
- General Practice (Criminal, Real Estate, Wills, Guardianships)
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Juvenile Court
- Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS)
- Animal Law related to Family Law matters
- International law
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1985
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1985
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A., Philosophy – 1973
- Foundations for Driving Under the Influence Trials, John Marshall Law School, Dec., 1988
- Foundational Requirements for Admissibility of Breath Machine Results, John Marshall Law Review, Feb. , 1989
- Regular contributor to ISBA Family Law Newsletter.
- “On the Tip of Your Tongue” newsletter section on new cases that have recently come down from either Appellate or Supreme courts of Illinois, with North Suburban Bar Association newsletter.
- Have organized and/or spoken at dozens of seminars, ISBA, NSBA, 1987 – Present
- International Law Adoptions; How to Find an Attorney; 3 different videos, ISBA, 1990 – Present
- IICLE “Treatment of Pets in Divorce” seminar presentation in 2014.
- CBA presentation on Treatment of Pets in Divorce seminar presentation in 2014.
- ISBA “Treatment of Pets in Divorce” issues, including custody and visitation, property division in New Orleans and multiple events in Chicago in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
Honors and Awards
- Bar and Gavel Society
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Suburban Bar Association, current and active Member- 1988-Present; President, 1992-1993
- NSBA Newsletter contributor of monthly article “On the Tip Of Your Tongue” 15 years and current.
- Illinois State Bar Association, Chair, Women & Minorities Committee, 1992-1993
- NWSBA, Board Member 1988-1992/1998-Present; President 2007-2008
- NWSBA Dinner Meeting Chair 1998-2007
- NSBA, Board Member 1987-1993
- Illinois State Bar Association, Assembly Member, 1987-Present
- Illinois State Bar Association General Practice Newsletter, Editor, 1990-1995
- Illinois State Bar Association International Law Chair 2001, 8 year member
- Illinois State Bar Association Traffic and Courts Section Chair 2004, six year member
- Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Section Council Member active 2007 to 2016; co-chaired or chaired Paternity Subcommittees, chaired Animal Law subcommittee.
- Illinois State Bar Association Animal Law Section , Chair 2013; current and active member
- Buffalo Grove Chamber of Commerce-23 year member
- Animal Legal Defense Fund-28 year member
Past Employment Positions
- Stephen M. Komie & Associates, Attorney Associate, 1985 – 1988
Pro Bono Activities
- Attorney for Pets in Need, Animal Shelter, 1993 – 2000
- Numerous animal shelters
- Attorney for Land of Lorin, 1998-2002
- Regularly act as Facilitator for NWSBA in Divorce and Paternity courtrooms to assist Judges with caseloads and assist parties in settlement options and preparing for presentation to the Judge.
- Worked with Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Section Council, as the Chair of the Paternity Subcommittee) to change Illinois Paternity Act in 2011 to bring it in step with better scientific methods for collecting and interpreting DNA; and as the Co-Chair or member of the Paternity Subcommittee from 2011-2016 to rewrite the Paternity Section of Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. Also worked with the Family Law Section Council from 2007-2016 to rewrite the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act or other legislation pending from time to time.