Family Law Issues

/Family Law Issues


Buffalo Grove Law Offices concentrates its practice in the area of family law. Family law cases include concerns about divorce, separation, paternity, adoption, child custody, child support, college, division of property and debt, family violence and more.We handle family law cases, as well as cases related to the family law setting. These may include real estate closings, short sales, wills, Powers of Attorney for Health Care, Powers of Attorney for Property, and other matters that arise in the context of a family law case. The fact that we concentrate in the family law area gives us the ability to concentrate on issues that arise in the family law area, including case law, prior and new statutes that can affect your case.

Other Areas of Family Law That We Handle

  • Minor emancipation: We can assist in the emancipation of a minor matter, whether we represent the teenager or the parents. Sometimes, it is in the best interest of the minor child and the family that the minor child is emancipated. Sometimes, it is not.
  • Grandparents Rights: We also handle situations regarding grandparent’s rights and responsibilities. These situations are often custody, guardianship, and grandparent adoption.
  • Stepparent Rights: When a parent marries or remarries after the birth of a biological child, the stepparent wants to adopt the child. Stepparent adoptions help to create a stronger family unit. We assist in this type of situation.
  • Guardianships and conservatorships: When someone can no longer care for themselves, someone else needs to step in to be their guardian or conservator. We can assist in this type of situation.
  • Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: People sometimes need to make critical decisions about the effect of the relationship on assets owned before the marriage, and other issues before they marry. Prenuptial agreements are drafted before a marriage, and postnuptial agreements are drafted during the marriage, when circumstances warrant. Both types of agreements may be contrary to the state of the law, as far as a later dissolution of the relationship is concerned. It is critical for you to know what you can and cannot agree to, and what needs to be included in such an agreement.

Name Change

In a divorce proceeding, you can simply include language that you are entitled to change your name, in order for you to be able to do so. If you do not include this in your divorce decree, you still need an order of the court in order for you to change your name. The court clerk can provide you with documents to begin the name change process, either for yourself or your children. Sometimes a person will not get a name change during the divorce, although they may want to, because they want to maintain the same name that the children have. The court, in a divorce, will allow you to change your own name, but the children will more than likely need to maintain the last name of the other parent. It may be different in different situations, but this is what you can expect.

You need to know that Illinois law requires you to notify the Secretary of State within 10 days if you change your name. You must get a new driver’s license or ID card, vehicle title, and registration documents that show the name change. You will need to bring your current driver’s license (or ID card), and certified documents that show your name change. These documents may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order that shows your old name and your new name.

Contact An Arlington Heights Family Law Attorney

Call our Arlington Heights, Illinois office at 847 222-9429, or contact us online to discuss your questions, concerns and options in an affordable initial consultation.

207, 2019


By | July 2nd, 2019|Categories: Guardianships and Conservatorships, The Best Interests of the Child, Uncategorized|Tags: , , |0 Comments

An attorney was appointed as guardian ad litem (GAL) for a minor plaintiff.  There was a settlement for injuries she suffered in a motor vehicle accident.   The mother had been appointed by the court as [...]

1405, 2019


By | May 14th, 2019|Categories: Family Law Issues|Tags: , , |0 Comments

Wife filed suit for legal separation and maintenance from her husband. He answered and counterclaimed for divorce. The trial court denied wife’s claim for separate maintenance.  It granted the divorce requested in husband’s counterclaim. Wife [...]

205, 2019


By | May 2nd, 2019|Categories: Adoption|Tags: |0 Comments

The rule is clear.  A consent to adoption form is not equal to a surrender of parental rights.    To have any meaning, section 10(A) of the Adoption Act must be read to provide for irrevocable [...]

205, 2019


By | May 2nd, 2019|Categories: Adoption, Family Law Articles|0 Comments

Mother and stepfather petitioned for termination of the biological father's parental rights.  They wanted to adopt the child together. The Circuit Court terminated the biological father's parental rights.  This was based on the biological father’s [...]

304, 2019


By | April 3rd, 2019|Categories: Family Law Issues, Property Division|Tags: |0 Comments

Man filed a replevin action against his former fiance for return of a diamond engagement ring.  Attached to the complaint was a form entitled "Insurance Replacement Appraisal," from a jeweler.  The estimated value of the [...]

2603, 2019


By | March 26th, 2019|Categories: Family Law Issues, Financial Issues When Divorcing|Tags: , , , , |0 Comments

Husband filed a motion for a preliminary injunction against wife.  He had filed divorce proceedings.  He wanted the court to stop her from participation in the operation of their family-owned tavern. The trial court granted [...]